Agent-based security solutions do not work in the cloud. They limit the capacity to deploy and grow at the cloud’s speed. It involves asking your overworked DevOps teams for more workload integration.The result? A difference in security coverage, unwanted overhead, higher TCO, and friction in the company. Including new VMs and containers may be a good idea, but agent installation and integrations will make you slow. Enter, Orca’s agentless SideScanning technology.
Orca’s approach to cloud security
Stay secure with a single integration
Installing and maintaining agents is ineffective. So, Orca Security launched a revolutionary agentless method to cloud security which enables a new technique called SideScanning. It helps Orca safeguard your infrastructure without getting inside any workload for assessment. It keeps your assets covered through an out-of-band process without the use of agents.
It comprises VMs, serverless and cloud infrastructure, containers, permissions, KMS keys, etc. No packet is sent through the network, and neither is any code run in the environment.
Introduction to SideScanning
Orca Security makes use of a new patent-pending technique known as SideScanning. It is an advanced approach as Orca doesn’t go inside every workload to assess data. Instead, it chooses an out-of-band procedure to reach cloud workloads via the runtime storage level and teaming it with metadata collected via cloud providers’ APIs. Orca offers enhanced and contextualized cloud environment visibility.
All in all, it provides complete coverage to your company’s assets without any scanner or agent. The solution requires a single-time integration into Google Cloud Providers, AWS, or Azure to scan the configuration, safety configuration, and network structure.
While reading security metrics for virtual machines, datastores, disks, logs, and databases Orca assesses the data and develops a full-stack inventory. Next, it evaluates the security state of every asset through the technology stack in all four cloud layers.
You can compare it to a medical MRI. Rather than going inside the body with scalpels, imaging is done using an out-of-band method to get a detailed image of your body’s organs.
SideScanning is somewhat the same, it builds a complete cloud environment model without impacting it in any way, and all the assets and their risks are viewable. Orca also supports the read-only mode. It doesn’t run on virtual cloud assets or affect them. This allows a company to deploy Orca across its cloud environment without worrying about performance side effects.
How does SideScanning Function?
Orca’s onboarding is quick and easy. You offer Orca a responsibility and set trust between Orca’s production account and your account. The responsibility involves some permission, such as read-only permissions and permissions to read the block storage layer. A cloud formation template encapsulates the complete procedure. The administrator just needs to click one to open the template, click a second time to apply it, and then click the third time to copy and paste the ARN in the Orca user interface.
The read-only permission allows witnessing and creating a map of the complete environment. It will enable Orca to create a temporary block storage image for later evaluation. Orca tags the snapshots and deletes them later. Orca also reads key manage service volumes to view snaps of that account but cannot copy the client’s key.
Orca Security offers SideScanning to extra cloud services
Orca’s SideScanning services also help discover cybersecurity issues airing from reliable cloud services like CI/CD platforms. While companies rely on third-party cloud services, most face misconfiguration issues.
The Orca Security Platform offers IT teams a chance to explore security challenges through SideScanning technology which assesses block storage from outside through a SaaS platform. It cross-checks with the API provided by the cloud service providers to present various cloud safety issues.
Cybersecurity teams use Orca to explore security issues without the need to deploy agent software that may interfere with application development or performance.
Orca Security raised additional funding of $20 million to lead an approach to cloud security that doesn’t need to install agent software on every company platform. Orca sure is delivering on this promise.
Benefits of SideScanning
- Complete runtime evaluation of the workload: Orca evaluates the block storage bytes and re-creates the file system, OS data, and apps in a read-only mode. It is done in real-time for security assessment with no performance overhead.
- Mitigate unexpected risks: With an instant and one-time deployment procedure and a single scan, you can detect all the security risks and actions you previously had no idea about in the workload and cloud environment.
- A single platform, multiple tools: Orca spots the essential security risks at every layer of the cloud environment. It has all the tools to surface malware, misconfigurations, susceptibilities, leaked and poor passwords, sensitive data, and risks.
- Complete coverage and visibility of all the assets: Orca automatically covers all the resources available and resources that will be added in the coming time. It involves the paused, futile, and still workloads.
- Zero siloed decision making: Orca teams workload intelligence with cloud configuration information. It allows Orca to detect the cloud environment completely. Workloads are not measured singularly or in silos. Instead, Orca evaluates their position and context related to other workloads and uses the data to drive decisions.
Orca’s SideScanning approach is revolutionary for collecting cloud environment information and checking its risks and vulnerabilities. No other cloud security tool offers such deep assessment without any agent. It helps customers rank their mitigation actions while eliminating the risks.
If you have questions related to this topic, feel free to book a meeting with one of our solutions experts, mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.